According to ABC News, the U.S. Public Interest Research Group found that two models of fidget spinners being sold nationwide at Target contained "extremely high" levels of lead in the metal and coating.
Target is coming under criticism this morning over some of the fidget spinners it sells.
Target, which had been provided with the US PIRG test results prior to the announcement, originally vowed to continue selling the spinners, saying that they met all U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines because they were classified as "general use products" rather than toys. "As a result", the spokesperson wrote, "the fidget spinners identified are not regulated as toys or children's products and are not required to meet children's product standards".
Warn children of all ages not to put fidget spinners or small pieces in their mouths and not to play with the fidget spinner near their faces.
Tamara Rubin, the Portland mother-of-four behind the popular Facebook group "Lead Safe Mama", said she tested her kids' fidget spinners with an X-ray spectrometer. The center circle of the "Fidget Wild Premium Spinner Metal" was tested for 1,300 ppm of lead and the arm tested for 520 ppm of lead. The federal legal limit for children's products is 100 ppm. Target also appears to have made the "brass" fidget spinner unavailable online, though they were apparently still on store shelves as of Friday.
Senegal is the third African nation to secure a ticket to Russian Federation
The last two qualifiers from Africa will be decided on Saturday. Senegal joins Nigeria and Egypt who have already qualified.
USA Today said the company could not provide an estimate on how numerous popular fidget spinner toys it will have to remove from stores.
The manufacturer of the specific model, Bulls-I-Toy, wrote in a statement: "There are no mandatory CPSC requirements for it".
PIRG urged customers to not purchase the fidget spinners, which sell for $19.99. CPSC stands for the Consumer Product Safety Commission. "We can't sit idly by while children play with these toxic toys - and, yes, common sense dictates that these are toys".
In the meantime, U.S. PIRG still recommends for adults and children to stop using the fidget spinners.
Many light-up fidget spinners also contain lithium batteries that can cause severe internal burns if swallowed.