Call of Duty Swatting Suspect Charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

Tyler barriss swatting charges

Call of Duty: WW2 “The Resistance” DLC Coming in Early 2018

Barriss is wanted in Kansas for placing a "swatting" call that led to the deadly shooting of 28-year-old Andrew Finch. On a financial affidavit filed Friday, Barriss wrote that he had no address, is unemployed and has not worked in the past 6 months.

Tyler Barriss, 25, made his first appearance in Sedgwick County District Court following extradition from California.

Barriss also faces charges in Calgary, Canada, according to The Globe and Mail, as spotted by Rolling Stone. Responding officers fatally shot a man at the home. He was booked in Sedgwick County Jail on Thursday afternoon, according to The Wichita Eagle, and his bond is $500,000.

Neither Barriss nor Finch was involved in the disputed game, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. As it so happens, Barriss had been previously arrested for swatting and making bomb threats, which then led to his release in January 2017.

The case, Bennett said, has been unique and there's not a lot of previous case law to reference.

Crews prep for New Year's Eve along San Francisco's waterfront
GREECE: Fireworks rain over the temple of the Parthenon at the Acropolis hill to mark the New Year's celebrations in Athens. Rangolis are drawn in front of homes early in the morning to welcome relatives and friends to mark the New Year.

This week, Canadian police issued an arrest warrant for Barriss, accusing him of placing an eerily similar call just six days before the Kansas shooting.

The woman told police she believed she was the victim of a swatting call - when someone makes a phoney emergency call aimed at sending tactical officers to a certain location. The officer, identified only as a seven-year veteran of the Wichita Police Department, was placed on leave after the shooting, authorities have said.

Barriss reportedly made the call after an argument between two Call of Duty players led to one giving the other an address.

On the evening of December 22, officers were deployed to an apartment building in the community of Bankview after someone called 911 claiming that they had shot their father and taken members of their family hostage.

Police said they believe the woman was targeted because of her "online persona".

Latest News