Maine woman finds 3-inch lizard in bagged lettuce

Shaw's supermarket

Shaw's supermarket

After vomiting and getting over her shock, Michelle Carr, a nurse from Kittery, said she feared she could have ingested harmful bacteria.

"It in fact was a lizard", Carr said, "missing its tail".

Carr said her friend, a New Hampshire-based biologist, identified it as a blue-bellied lizard from California.

Carr said she washed the romaine lettuce last week and used it to make a salad.

So, not only is Carr concerned about finding a lizard in her lettuce, she's anxious she may have eaten the tip of the tail.

She hopes that others will learn from what happened to her and that consumers should watch what they buy and know where they come from.

Ms Carr said she purchased the romaine lettuce from Shaw's supermarket and made it into a salad a few days later. The lettuce is distributed by a company out of California.

Broadcom Ups Acquisition Offer, Tells Qualcomm Its 'Best And Final'
Stifel analyst Kevin Cassidy said in an e-mail that the decision will come down to their faith in Qualcomm's earnings projections. The new company will become the default supplier of certain components required to build over one billion smartphones a year.

Ms Carr said she was anxious about her baby's health. "This was a huge lizard with scales", said Carr, a registered hematology oncology bone marrow transplant nurse. 'The first time and only time I've ever bought a bag of prepackaged lettuce, this happens. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is also investigating the incident.

The new mother of a 10-week-old newborn boy was enjoying a quick lunch on January 29 as she washed her lettuce, inverted it to drain, ripped it apart by hand and threw on some grape tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

"It makes me want to gag all over again", she said. A spokesperson from the supermarket said that the company is now working with its lettuce supplier to find out how this happened and to prevent a similar incident from happening again.

Carr, whose newborn son is breastfeeding, is concerned about salmonella and E. coli exposure for her, and her baby.

She already contacted the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, and Shaw's.

Carr said, "It's not just something you read about in the papers". "We need to be really diligent about washing your produce no matter where you get it from".

Latest News