Kuwait invites President Duterte to visit amid workers row

Outrage as Filipino maid’s body is returned from Kuwait

Outlook on PH consumer remains positive — BMI Research

Jarallah continued this tone on Monday stating: "We have made it clear to the Philippine authorities that these accusations and information have no basis whatsoever and do not reflect the nature of the situation of Filipino employment in Kuwait and are basically unacceptable", he said.

Last week, the body of a worker named Joanna Daniella Demafelis was found in a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait, sparking renewed outrage about the treatment of migrant workers there.

TEACHING English in China could become a viable alternative for overseas Filipino workers, following the country's ban on moving to Kuwait after seven workers' deaths.

The Demafelis family told Associated Press that Joanna was 29 years old and the sixth of nine children born into a poor farming family in the central province of Iloilo.

The resolution mentioned specifically the cases of Joanna Demafelis, who died in Kuwait and whose body was found stuffed in a freezer a year after her family said they lost contact with her; and Josie Lloren who also suffered abuse in Kuwait, and died on February 9 after returning to the country.

Demafelis' remains were repatriated to the Philippines over the weekend as an worldwide manhunt against her employers, a Lebanese national and his Syrian wife, was launched.

"There will be criminal charges definitely under Kuwaiti law. Every so often, they start weeping", he added.

"I would think that part of the investigation will be undertaking leads and perhaps some of these leads might be confidential at this stage because of the manhunt", he said.

Largely silent about Florida school shooting victims
The 19-year-old suspect, Nikolas Cruz , is a troubled teenager who posted disturbing material on social media. The president visited the community Friday, seeking out victims at a hospital and meeting first responders.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said late Friday that "working groups" from Kuwait and the Philippines are discussing forging a memorandum for protecting the rights of Filipinos in Kuwait, many of whom are working as maids.

"It is the work of OWWA to make sure that the family receives this lasting legacy from the deceased OFW", he said.

Duterte's administration is coming under scrutiny as the president, who has been criticized for his nationwide drug raids, is turning his attention to condoms and safe sex practices.

Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed Monday that President Rodrigo Duterte would be attending the wake of Demafelis in Iloilo.

Airport assistance to the victim's family members will be provided until they reach their house in Sara town.

A distraught Eva Demafelis could only say "I am sad", when asked by reporters about the death of her daughter.

At least 30 rented and private vehicles followed the hearse carrying the body going to the funeral home.

Latest News