Utah courthouse shooting video released

Video released of fatal courtroom shooting in Salt Lake City (Warning: Graphic Content)

Shocking footage reveals moment Crips gang member is shot dead in court after launching at witness with a pen

On the day of the tragic shooting April 21 of 2014, Angilau was in a federal courtroom in Salt Lake City facing federal racketeering charges for his involvement in organized crime.

The footage from 2014 shows Tongan Crip Gang member Siale Angilau, 25, rising from a seat next to his attorney, and grabbing his lawyer's pen.

A U.S. marshal fired four times at close range at the defendant inside as he rushed to the witness stand, jumped and swung with a pen at a shackled witness.

"The video completely contradicts plaintiffs' argument that Angilau stopped posing a danger within less than one second of launching himself over the witness stand while making a stabbing motion with a pen in hand", Dowdell wrote in the verdict, Deseret News reported. He managed to retreat into a corner of the courtroom and was not hurt.

'His attack was stopped by the shots that Jane Doe rapidly fired, in less than one and one-half seconds'.

As US District Judge Tena Campbell was escorted out of the courtroom, someone called 911 at the end of the released video. "Drop the pen out of your hand".

Woods, Els to captain Australia Presidents Cup
Now, they'll meet again in 2019 as captains for the matches in Melbourne, Australia, according to an Associated Press report . Woods has been named by Jim Furyk as a 2018 USA Ryder Cup vice-captain along with Stricker and Davis Love 111.

The video shows the deputy US marshal, identified in court documents only as Jane Doe, unholster her gun and fire four quick shots at Angliau while backing up.

The U.S. marshal who fired the shots was cleared of any wrongdoing. Attorney Robert Sykes said, "I think that a jury should see this video and make a decision about whether that was appropriate force".

Angilau's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming the shooting was "particularly unreasonable, reckless and constitutionally excessive".

Skyes said: "There was no need to use deadly force".

The Utah Media Coalition fought for a year for Dowdell to release the footage, according to KUTV in Salt Lake City.

The unidentified United States marshal was cleared of any wrongdoing by the Federal Bureau of Investigation shortly after the shooting and a review board found the use of force was within agency policy. Sykes acknowledged it was a tough case for the judge, but said he was disappointed in Dowdell's ruling.

Latest News