- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen - not the fire - killed him. The medical examiner says D'Elia's cause of death was listed as "projectile wound of head".
Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia died on Cinco de Mayo in St. Petersburg after his vape pen burst into flames in his bedroom.
D'Elia's death is the first in the United States caused by a vape pen, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which keeps statistics on e-cigarettes.
The pen exploded into pieces, at least two of which were sent into his head, the medical examiner said, ad he suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body.
Manufacturer of the vape pen was Smok-E Mountain and is was a "mod" type, said he autopsy report.
The man, who was 38 years-old when he passed away, used an unregulated e-cigarette that was manufactured in the Philippines.
The Food and Drug Administration recommends that smokers should not leave pens charging overnight or use off-brand chargers.
The U.S. Fire Administration says there have been 195 cases in which an electronic cigarette exploded or caught fire between 2009 through 2016, resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe.
Special Counsel Within Bounds, Manafort Going to Trial, Judge Rules
He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges, none of which are directly related to work he performed for Trump's campaign. He told prosecutors to turn over a copy to him by Friday.
The report blames the incidents on lithium-ion batteries in the products.
There have been a few incidents of injuries stemming from vape pen explosions.
There were 195 separate e-cigarette fire and explosion incidents in the United States reported by the media between 2009 and 2016, according to data released past year by the US Fire Administration.
And a vape pen exploded in a man's trousers in 2016 in New York, NBC4 reported.
There have been other cases of exploding e-cigarettes, but none of them were fatal.
Use vapes with safety features, including protection against overcharging.
Replace the batteries if they get damaged or wet.