His limbs had to be amputated after he contracted an incredibly rare and painful blood infection called Capnocytophaga canimorsus.
Doctors say his case is not common and more like a "crazy fluke".
Here's what you need to know.
Greg Manteufel, 48, landed in the emergency room after believing he had the flu. "We can't wrap our heads around it", Dawn said.
"It hit him with a vengeance". The disease had made it look as if someone had beat him up with a baseball bat, which had shocked both of them.
The infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop, and the circulation to his limbs decreased, causing those limbs to turn black.
Then, three weeks after he was first admitted, both of Greg's hands up to his mid palms were amputated. It was either that, or the bacteria would spread and eventually kill him. Doctors were forced to amputate his legs through the kneecap, and damage to his hands necessitates amputation of fingers. He had just undergone a surgery to remove dead tissue and muscle from what is left of his lower extremities.
A man's medical mystery leads to several amputations, and doctors tell the family it may have started because of contact with a dog.
Paul Manafort’s first trial begins this week: Here’s what to expect
At one point, an Federal Bureau of Investigation agent described the July 2017 raid on Manafort's Virginia condominium. President Trump defended his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort on Wednesday, while distancing Mr.
A GoFundMe to help Greg Manteufel, a 48-year-old house painter who enjoys riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles, pay for prosthetics. He never had any serious medical problems before.
But in Manteufel's case, the bacteria got into his bloodstream, triggering blood poisoning (sepsis).
Manteufel has a long road to recovery, but part of that process will hopefully include prosthetic limbs.
The infection has been devastating for Manteufel and his family.
Mr Manteufel's wife, Dawn, said her husband was the picture of health before contracting the bacteria. "He is so thankful to be alive today and is taking one day at a time".
Greg Manteufel was infected by Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria that is found in the salvia of dogs and cats. The animals are immune to it.
A biker lost both his legs and nose after his pet dog gave him a friendly lick and gave him a rare bacterial infection. In fact, up to 74 percent of dogs and up to 57 percent of cats have Capnocytophaga detected in their mouths.
One 2014 study from Japan found the bacteria to be present in 69 percent of dogs and 54 percent of cats.