Efforts to contain the latest Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo are being threatened by a "perfect storm" of challenges, including rebel violence and pre-election turbulence, the United Nations said Tuesday.
The latest Ebola outbreak, which causes haemorrhagic fever, vomiting and diarrhoea, is believed to have killed 99 people since July and infected another 48.
"We also see a very concerning trend that resistance, driven by quite natural fear of this terrifying disease, is starting to be exploited by local politicians", Salama said at a news conference on Tuesday, "and we're very concerned in the run-up to elections, projected for December, that that exploitation. will gather momentum and make it very hard to root out the last cases of Ebola". It has advised against and restriction of travel and trade to the DRC based on the information that is now available and is continuing to monitor and verify travel and trade measures if necessary.
At least 18 people, including 14 civilians, have been killed in a rebel attack in Beni in Democratic Republic of Congo's restive east.
"We are now extremely concerned that several factors may be coming together over the next weeks and months to create a flawless storm", WHO's head of emergency response Peter Salama told a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday.
Politicians in the region are also stoking the mistrust ahead of upcoming elections in December, Salama added.
Vikings DE Griffen remains out with mental health trouble
A few minutes later, Griffen's wife again called police to tell them he was now in a vehicle with a man that Griffen didn't know. The Minnetrista police report said members of the Vikings organization felt Griffen was acting out of anger and erratically.
And he warned that the geographical spread of the outbreak was expanding, notably to border areas, with Uganda now facing "an imminent threat". "Our operations are in effect suspended", he added.
So far, only 27% of the money needed to meet the humanitarian needs in DR Congo this year has been provided.
Attacks have forced the WHO to suspend operations in the city of Beni, which had been the main base for the organization's work in the entire province, called North Kivu. In its daily report, the Ministry of Health stated that "many residents of the city of Beni took to the streets on Sunday to protest the growing insecurity in the area".
"We also see a very concerning trend".
"This has the potential to spiral", Salama said. Oicha has two confirmed cases of the virus and one probable case.
At the time, the WHO's Peter Salama described it as a "dreaded" scenario.