The agency is testing for Naegleria (nee-GLEHR'-yah) fowleri (FOW'-lur-eye), colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".
A 29-year-old surfer, Fabrizio Stabile, who recently visited a Waco, Texas, resort has died from what is commonly referred to as a "brain-eating amoeba".
"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told the Waco Tribune.
The surf park where Stabile is suspected to have contracted the infection. He died at a hospital in Atlantic City on September 21.
The CDC states that the brain-eating amoeba is found in warm freshwater, such as lakes, rivers and hot springs.
Hurricane Rosa weakening, expected to become tropical storm - U.S. NHC
The storm was moving north at 12 miles per hour and had maximum sustained winds of 105 miles per hour . Up to 4 inches could fall in Flagstaff, Payson and Prescott through Wednesday.
A surf park in Waco has closed for testing after a New Jersey man died earlier this month from a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba.
The amoeba infects people when it enters the body through the nose, causing Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis. We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'.
The surf park voluntarily closed on Friday pending a CDC investigation, reported local media, and is complying with local health departments.
No other sites tested showed contamination, according to the water system. "By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America". The organizations statistics indicate that since 1962 there have been 143 confirmed cases, of which only four people survived.