A New Jersey surfer is dead after contracting a rare and deadly "brain-eating amoeba" weeks after he swam at a water resort in Texas.
Parsons said Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.
Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page. He went on to develop symptoms, including brain swelling and fever, and was pronounced brain dead on September 21.
Only four people of the 143 infected with the amoeba in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have survived.
It causes the nervous-system infection primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) by traveling up a person's nostrils and into their brain, but can not be transmitted if a person swallows water contaminated with the bug.
BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. says it will also continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile's death.
Tottenham facing injury crisis ahead of Barcelona Champions League game
He's definitely set the standard for the rest of us and he still is. "As a striker I want to try and match that". We need to produce that same energy, the crowd were unbelievable that night.
The CDC said Monday it is assisting the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District and the surf resort, which voluntarily closed following Stabile's death, in testing for Naegleria fowleri.
"Even so, this drug is not easily accessible".
Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwaters like lakes, rivers, and hot springs around the world, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Stabile was an avid outdoorsman who loved snowboarding, surfing, and anything to do with friends and family, according to an obituary published by The Press of Atlantic City.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise awarness of the dangers posed by Naegleria Fowleri in Stabile's memory.
The initial symptoms may include headaches, fever, nausea, or vomiting and will start between one and nine days after the infection.
The infection is very rare, as about 35 cases have been reported in the U.S.in the last decade, officials said.